Which sport is your favorite to watch and/or play?

Quote of the week

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Unknown
more famous quotes

July 13, 2010

I'm annoyed

Okay, so i just finished reading Three Cups of Tea (btw its rly good if you dont have to read it for school) and i have to answer these stupid questions. I read one and it really got me thinking, then it got me really annoyed. I thought i should share what i typed into a word doc with you.

The question....

The first line of the story begins “Greg Mortenson was lost.” The word “lost” can have both a literal and figurative meaning. State what you think the author meant by this sentence.

My answer...or what i angrily typed lol.

Now the thing I don’t like about language arts is that the teachers make you look for stuff that the authors never intended to be there. You can look for symbols and what not ‘til the cows come home, but really what an author is thinking about when he or she writes the story is not the tiny details that have a larger than life meaning, but rather the feeling of the character and the emotion behind the whole story. If an author happens to mention a broken telephone or an old shoe, that’s only to add depth to the book. Only language arts teachers or students told to look for such things would see that. Any person reading a book for pleasure would never in a million years think, ‘Hmm. That glass of milk could represent purity’. I hate to rain on your parade, but it’s the truth. Schools are teaching students to look for things that aren’t even there. And they wont believe it either. If you try to go up to a teacher and defend the point that I just stated, you would be there hours arguing. What school should be teaching us is to better understand the story as a whole. Say one of my friends read a book. The next day if I asked them what it was about, they would give me a blank stare and say the don’t know. Teachers should be teaching their students how to comprehend the text. Not to search for things that don’t exist.

When the author said Greg was lost, he meant he was actually lost. In the wilderness. Alone. Lost. Comon, my sister could’ve answered that. Shes 5. I’m 12. Gosh people.



like it? haha. as you can see, i was very annoyed.

No comments: